INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY WITH CJFE
POSITION TITLE: Communications & Research Intern
DESCRIPTION OF HOST ORGANIZATION: CJFE is a non-profit, non-governmental organization based in Toronto that works to defend press freedom and freedom of expression in Canada and around the world. To that end, CJFE engages in various activities, including management of the International Freedom of Expression Exchange (IFEX) Clearing House, the Journalists in Distress Fund, the CJFE Gala: A Night to Honour Fearless Reporting, as well as special public events on World Press Freedom Day and Word on the Street and publication of various reports including the Canadian Free Expression Review.
LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario
The Communications & Research Assistant will report to the CJFE Manager and will be responsible for the following:
1. Carry out research and writing duties for the CJFE website and publications
2. Conduct research on press freedom issues in Canada and on other topics for the annual Canadian Free Expression Review
3. Update communications such as CJFE website, J Source Free Expression section, and Facebook with upcoming events and news
4. Conduct research and write letters of protest and press releases on behalf of CJFE on free expression violations world-wide, and compile CJFE statistics.
5. Assist with preparation for 30th Anniversary Event and possible World Press Freedom Day (May 3) event
6. Work on fundraising activities including research and proposal writing.
7. Carry out administrative duties for CJFE as needed
HOURS: We are looking for someone who can commit at least 12 weeks of full-time work, starting on or about Feb. 14 ending on May 13. Hours are typically from 9-5p.m. The intern may be asked to work an occasional evening. The Intern will be provided with a $3000 honorarium upon completion of the position.
Excellent writing and research skills
Fluency in English; ability to work in French and/or Spanish considered an asset
Interest in and awareness of current affairs and knowledge of free expression issues
Team player; works well independently
Experience working on events
Computer literate (Word, Excel, Outlook Express)
Website Development, HTML skills considered an asset
Previous experience (work or voluntary) or training in human rights, international development or journalism considered an asset
HOW TO APPLY: Those interested must submit a cover letter and resume to the CJFE Manager at jobs AT cjfe.org with the subject line: Communications & Research Intern. Please note where you heard about the position. Selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: January 19, 2011