Position Title: Research and Publications Assistant
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Deadline for Applications: Friday, January 27, 2012
CJFE is a non-profit, non-governmental organization based in Toronto that works to defend press freedom and freedom of expression in Canada and around the world. To this end, CJFE engages in various activities, including management of the International Freedom of Expression Exchange (IFEX) Clearing House, the Journalists in Distress Fund, the International Press Freedom Awards, as well as special public events on World Press Freedom Day and Word on the Street.
Duties/Job description of Intern:
The focus of this position will be to assist with CJFE’s third annual Review of Free Expression in Canada, to be launched in May 2012, and with content development for the Canadian Issues section of CJFE’s website. The intern will report to the CJFE Manager.
The Intern will:
• conduct research and undertake writing and fact-checking assignments for CJFE’s Review of Free Expression in Canada and the CJFE website
• attend and take minutes of meetings of the Editorial Committee
• help plan event for World Press Freedom Day , May 3 2012
• write letters of concern and press releases on behalf of CJFE on free expression violations world-wide
• assist with other educational and outreach events as needed
• undertake other administrative duties for CJFE as needed
• Excellent written communication skills
• Fluency in English Computer skills (Word, Excel)
• Previous experience (work or voluntary) with publications
• Previous experience (work or voluntary) with event planning
• Interest in and knowledge of current affairs and free expression issues
• Website development and skills in HTML considered an asset
The intern can expect to work full-time for 12 weeks. Due to the nature of the work, flex-time is an option. The intern may be asked to work an occasional evening.
How to Apply:
Submit application including current CV and cover letter by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please Note: We thank you for your interest, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Interviews of short-listed candidates will take place on February 1 and 2.