One year contract, with possibility of extension
Canadian Journalists for Free Expression (CJFE) / International Freedom of Expression Exchange (IFEX)
Deadline for applications: 3 February 2012
Canadian Journalists for Free Expression (CJFE) is seeking applications for the one-year contract position of IFEX Campaigns and Advocacy Specialist (with possibility of extension). IFEX is a network of 90 organisations worldwide that defend and promote the right to free expression, www.ifex.org. The IFEX Clearing House is based in Toronto, where it is managed by the IFEX member organisation CJFE, www.cjfe.org.
Job Description Summary
Reporting to the IFEX Manager, the Campaigns and Advocacy Specialist oversees IFEX’s Campaigns and Advocacy Programme, which includes:
• Develop, implement, promote and report on a range of campaigning initiatives in consultation with IFEX members and relevant staff
• Manage and oversee all projects, including negotiating agreements, developing implementation plans, contracting consultants, managing budgets, as well as evaluation and reporting
• Develop and implement strategies for maximizing the effectiveness of the campaigning activities using a wide variety of digital tools
• Provide opportunities for members to develop capacity to act independently and jointly on campaigns
• Develop and maintain effective working relationships with IFEX members and relevant human rights organisations
• Participate in overall IFEX programme and project development, workplanning and budgeting
• Other duties as required.
• 3-5 years’ experience in campaigning in human rights/free expression field; including web-based efforts
• University degree in related discipline, or equivalent experience;
• Proven knowledge of campaigning techniques, policies, strategies, scope, target audience, structure and impact;
• Understanding of story-based strategy and demonstrated ability to write clear, concise and compelling prose and ability to generate creative, well-designed web, mobile and/or social media content
• Demonstrated ability to work in diverse settings, with staff, consultants and members;
• International work experience;
• Excellent oral and written communications skills in English - French and/or Spanish an asset;
• Excellent organizational and administrative skills, strong attention to detail;
• Must be eligible to work in Canada.
How to Apply:
Please send a CV and a statement of interest that includes the following information:
• Why you want to work at IFEX specifically
• Your background in campaigning in human rights/free expression; including web-based efforts
• Other information that might be of importance for our assessment of your application
• Two or three references: names, relationship, contact details; if possible, two of these should be related to your campaigns experience
Send your application via email by 3 February 2012 to email@example.com with "Hiring Committee: Campaigns Specialist" in the subject line. We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Compensation Type: Salary