IFEX is seeking an event coordinator for the IFEX General Meeting. This is a 12 month contract beginning in August 2012. The coordinator will be based at IFEX’s office in Toronto.
The International Freedom of Expression Exchange (IFEX), www.ifex.org, is a network of organizations worldwide that promote and defend the right to free expression. IFEX is based in Toronto, where it is managed by the IFEX member organization Canadian Journalists for Free Expression (CJFE), www.cjfe.org.
The IFEX General Meeting (GM) and Strategy Conference (SC) is an international gathering which brings together over 150 participants including IFEX members, resource people and donors to develop IFEX network plans and policies, discuss major and emerging free expression issues and violations, and develop strategies and action plans to address them. Hosted by IFEX member Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) in Phnom Penh in June 2013, this important event aims to strengthen the international free expression community through information-sharing, capacity-building workshops and collaborative planning, and provide a unique opportunity to put free expression on the international agenda.
Job Description Summary
The IFEX GM event coordinator will work with IFEX staff and CCHR to carry out the following tasks:
• Coordinate all participants’ logistics, including but not limited to – visas, flights, accommodation, transportation
• Coordinating travel arrangements - liaising with main travel agent, arranging flights, purchasing tickets, arranging to get tickets to members
• Work with CCHR on all onsite arrangements, including but not limited to – hotel, transportation, internet café, interpretation,volunteers and meals
• Prepare all conference materials for delegates
• Organize and update participants’ status and contact information
• Coordinate the registration process and participant financial documentation
• Travel to Cambodia for the meeting
• Handle other organizational and logistical duties as they arise
• 1-3 years experience in regional and/or international event organization
• Ability to work fluently in English required; Spanish an asset
• Excellent planning and organizational skills
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively
• Ability to prioritize tasks and produce work quickly and under tight deadlines
• Experience working at a distance via email, Skype and teleconference
• Strong IT skills
• Ability to take initiative
Terms and Conditions
Based in Toronto, this position will have flexible working hours including time overlap with Phnom Penh, Cambodia and other conference demands.
How to Apply
Please send a CV and a statement of interest that includes the following information:
• Your background in event organising
• Two or three references: names, relationship, contact details; if possible, two of these should be related to your event organising experience
Send your application via email by 13 August 2012 to email@example.com with "Hiring Committee: IFEX GM Event Coordinator" in the subject line. We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.